Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Knee pain after playing basketball. Protruding lump on knee, hurts to touch. Osgood-Schlatter disease?

two weeks ago i was playing basketball. Everything was normal until suddenly i felt a pain that closely resembled a tendonitis . However a week after i noticed that my knee was still hurting. I touched the part that hurt and what i found was a lumb/ bone like thing popping out of the bone right below the knee. It hurts to kneel down and it also hurts to touch. I ve read online and it said that i might have Osgood-Schlatter disease. I am wondering if that is it and if i can make it go away. Will this affect me in the future in any way?
Asked On : Fri, 9 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  92
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.

First of all you have to tell your age as Osgood–Schlatter disease or syndrome (also known as tibial tubercle apophyseal traction injury ) is most often seen in young adolescents(9-16yrs).

The condition is usually self-limiting and is caused by stress on the patellar tendon that attaches the quadriceps muscle at the front of the thigh to the tibial tuberosity.

Treatment is conservative with RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation), and if required you can take ibuprofen (Motrin). The condition usually resolves in a few months.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Answered: Fri, 9 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor