Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Knee injury, pain, had partial lateral meniscectomy, inability to walk. Suggest?

I am 36 years old and have an extensive history of right knee injury/pain/treatment. The initial injury was over 20 years ago. I have had PT several times throughout my life. I had a right knee arthroscopy with a partial lateral meniscectomy in July 2011. At that time I was told I have the knee of a 75 year old woman and a nearly non-existent patella. I was also told at that time that barring my age, I was a perfect candidate for knee replacement but could not be considered due to being "too young". At this point, I am not only dealing with the incompetence of my right knee and that pain, but my left knee is being damaged and I am experiencing problems with my back and hips. Their only recommendation to me at this point is pain management which I am far than interested in. My question is I being given the right information or should I seek an opinion elsewhere?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  46
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Hello, due to chronic knee problem you have developed secondary osteoarthritis which is the reason for your right knee pain but the left one must be developing compensatory osteoarthritis due to increased demand on it as the right one is injured. Doctors don't consider knee replacement at early age because you will have to go for revision surgery also at earlier age as there is a finite life of a implant and considering your age and activity it might be earlier then your elder counterparts. But knee replacement doesn't have a age criteria. It is always done for pain and patient discomfort. If you can't bear the pain you can opt for the surgery considering the pros and cons.
Answered: Mon, 8 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Prashanth Inna's  Response
Your knee can be treated for osteoarthritis.
Might consider
oral drugs: glucocosamine and chondroitin sulphate, depending on grade of osteoarthritis.
joint injections: Hyaluronic acid
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor