Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Knee hit, swelling, lump. What should be done?

My son took a hit to the outside knee yesterday. Initially there was a large amount of swelling and loss of bending. The swelling has decreased some and the range of motion has improved very little (about 90 degree angle is all). There is also a large lump that is warn to touch on the medial upper knee. He plays sports. Wondering what we should do?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us

From description it seems to be soft tissue injury . Large lump might be due to haematoma formation(collection of blood).
He needs an x-ray to rule out any bony injury.
I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. He may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.Beside icing and elevating it, He can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin according to his age to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Answered: Wed, 28 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

A large lump that is warm to touch after an injury is typically suggestive of a soft tissue hematoma unless proved otherwise.

An xray is mandatory to rule out any fracture and MRI scan to diagnose any injury to the intraarticular structures like meniscus, ligaments (ACL & PCL) etc.

The general treatment guidelines are as follows -

* Rest to the injured part and avoid involving in activities that causes pain.
* Ice packing should be applied for about 20 minutes once in every 2 hours for the first 48 hours
* Use elastic compression bandage around the swollen area
* Elevation of the limb
* Analgesic & anti inflammatory medications as needed

If the symptoms and range of motion is not improving, approach an orthopedic surgeon for further workup and management.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Wed, 28 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor