Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Knee cap shattered in an accident. Amputation or rod fixing advised. Which is better option?

hai Dr,
My brother was met with an accident, His right side leg knee caps shattered in to pieces. Doctor told it can't be reused ,there are only two options either to ampute his leg or fix thigh bone and leg with rod. patient can walk but can't bend his leg for rest of is life .

Is there any solution or replacement can be done???
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  35
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
You have told that the knee cap is shattered - for which Patellectomy followed Unicondylar Knee Arthroplasty (UKA) - Minimally Invasive fixed-bearing UKA gives better results.
You have not mentioned about associated fractured of thigh and leg bones - amputation and fixing the thigh and leg bone with a rod - I am not able to understand by your question.
You must have entered all the fracturs due to injury in detail.
Best wishes
Answered: Fri, 19 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor