Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Kidney stones, elevated uric acid. Would medicines be sufficient for treatment?

Hi doctor, I have been suffering from kidney stones for a while. my uric acid is always high even though I am vegetarian. Currently I have 4 uric acid stones in my right kidney (2mm, 4mm, 6mm, 1 cm). Would medication be enough to dissolve the stones. For example taking Urolyt and zyloric. I do not want to do laser or shockwave as I heard it could have really painful consequences. Best regards,
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  62
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Nephrologist 's  Response
Thank you for using health care Magic

nonsurgical methods for treatment of uric acid stones should be supplemented with adequate fluid intake. If you are able to increase your urine out put to the range of 2-4 L of urine per day, you should be able to avoid further stones. The medications may help in dissolving some of your existing stones and coupled with adequate urine flow and oral fluid intake, you may be able to address your kidney stones. Please bear in mind that a stone which is symptomatic or obstructing will require treatment by a urologist. If the stones were just identified without causing symptoms or obstruction, then no acute intervention is required.
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor