Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Joint pain, recurring condition. Blood test shows high ESR. Treatment options?

Hi sir, This is XXXX. My mom has joint pains for the last 20 days. She is 40 years old. Yesterday, she went for blood test . Then we know that ESR is 50mm/hr. But we dont know the reason. I m very much worried about her. So pls tell me the reason and how to reduce ESR rate. Pls tell me sir as soon as possible. pls pls pls.......
Asked On : Sun, 4 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  198
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.

Increase ESR associated with acute and chronic inflammation, including infections, cancers, and autoimmune diseases.

ESR is said to be nonspecific because increased results do not tell the doctor exactly where the inflammation is in the body or what is causing it, and also because it can be affected by other conditions besides inflammation.

For this reason, the ESR is typically used in conjunction with other tests. So I suggest you to consult
an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination and some other investigation to reach the diagnosis.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon
Answered: Sun, 4 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor