Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Joint cracks/pops every time while moving thumb, wrist and elbow. How to prevent joints from cracking again and time taken to heal?

my joint cracks/pops every time i move mostly my thumb , wrist and elbow and i can make the cracking or popping sound again immediately started happening a 4-5 days ago if i am not wrong. so whats wrong with me ? and what should i do to prevent it to keep popping or cracking again ? and how old would it takes to make it heal ?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  1411
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
Hello there,
These cracking and popping occurs due to the presence synovial fluid in the capsule of a synovial joint.
synovial fluid present in your joints acts as a lubricant. The fluid contains the gases oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. When you pop or crack a joint, you stretch the joint capsule. Gas is rapidly released, which forms bubbles. In order to crack the same knuckle again, you have to wait until the gases return to the synovial fluid.
When you crack a joint, you are actually stretching the joint thus creating a neg pressure in the synovial joint. The process called "cavitation" occurs, which is formation of gas bubbles from liquid due to neg pressure. If more neg pressure is formed beyond that point, the bubble claps making a loud "pop" sound.
Hence repeated cracking & popping is due to negative pressure in the joint more frequently.. and this may be due to a weak capsular strength......
If you hear joint pops and clicks with no associated pain in a joint, you don't need to worry, but you may want to begin some conditioning exercises to improve the overall integrity of the joint. Stronger muscles will take the weight off of the joint and help reduce the pressure on the articulating surfaces.

If there is pain along with those joint noises, you may have signs of structural damage building in the joint. It would be wise to see a physician/physio/chiropractor for an appropriate diagnosis and treatment pain to help prevent further damage.

wish you a good health .....
Answered: Thu, 21 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor