Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Jaw makes cracking sound on yawning, shooting jaw pain on biting food radiating to inner ear. Will anti-inflammatory cure dislocation?

A couple of weeks ago, my jaw made a cracking sound when I yawned. That was on the left side. Three weeks later I now have a meniscus disc dislocated on my left jaw which is the opposite jaw from the one that originally popped in the first place. I seen a TMJ specialist today and he told me that he could perform treatments on my jaw to get he inflammation down and provide me with a mouth piece that would allow my disc to go back into its normal position. It only bothers me whenever I go to clinch or bite down on food. Pain shoots up my jaw into my inner ear . My question is if I just rest my jaw and continue to take anti-flammatory medication will my disc go back into its normal place without treatment? What will happen if I don t get it treated? I m currently wearing a mouth piece all day and night and I keep rotating cold/hot packs to help with the pain and inflammation.
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  111
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
Using the mouth piece will hasten your recovery. Without the use of mouth piece, there are chances of a persistent displacement of the jaw thus causing a persistent pain and inflammation.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Tue, 2 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor