Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Itchy patch on penis, itchiness, painful. What the cure?

Hi, I have had an itchy patch on the lower left side of my penis , close to the base. It s been there for two weeks now. The skin is slightly damp to the touch and sometimes the itchiness is a little painful. Sort of a raw feeling as if I had been scratching the area. (which I have not been doing). There s also some mild swelling in this patchy area. It s slightly red in colouration. I was thinking that it might be from friction from power walking, but it persists. It s the slight swelling and persistence that concerns me. Any ideas?
Asked On : Thu, 7 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello dear,

The case history as mentioned in your post suggests that you might be having fungal infection in the lower left side of the penis.

Management includes:
1. Keeping the area dry & avoid too much exposure to water or sweat formation.
2. Antihistamine preparations like cetirizine to provide symptomatic relief.
3. Application of topical antifungal cream to tackle the causative organism.
4. Topical antibiotics can also be applied to prevent secondary bacterial infections.

If symptoms still persist or aggravate further, then it will be better to consult a Dermatologist & get a proper examination done to find out the actual cause.
So that appropriate management steps could be taken.

Also avoid wearing tight underwear or it will cause sweating & aggravate the infections.

Wishing a good health.
Take care.
Answered: Tue, 23 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General Surgeon Dr. M Y Shareef's  Response
Hi ! Most probably, you have got a fungal infection which got secondarily infected causing the inflammatory swelling along with the little pain in the area. This has also caused the raw area which could also be due to rubbing with your under garments. I would suggest you to get yourself reviewed by a Dermatologist who may advise you for some anti fungal with anti bacterial cream for local application, along with an oral antibiotic if need be. If thought necessary, he may also put you on a oral anti fungal agent for some time. He may also do some routine tests to exclude any sexually transmitted disease as well if you are active sexually. Wishing you an early recovery.
Answered: Tue, 23 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor