Is warfarin dangerous ?

Should I inform my physician I would prefer not to take warfarin
Sat, 12 Dec 2009
's  Response
Yes, PLEASE tell your physician that you would prefer not to take warfarin. I work with patients (I'm a cardiac RN) that take Coumadin on a regular basis, and I fear the consequences of not telling your doctor. Let me explain why: 1.Your doctors plan for your care assumes that you won't get clots, because it assumes that you are taking coumadin; your doctor will assume that your ok, and will unknowingly put you at risk 2. Not knowing your history, I can only assume that you have had some procedure done (be it heart bypass, or valve surgery, atrial fibrillation, etc). You can undo any benefits that you have gained from these procedures, and may need to repeat these procedure or worse ones. 3. Most people stop taking Coumadin because of all the bruising and easy bleeding. If you are bleeding/bruising too much, the doctor may be able to cut down on the amount of Coumadin, thus relieving some of your problems. Stopping Coumadin, will take away the bruising, but risks too many risks if the doctor doesn't know about it. I see many people come in to the hopsital because they have changed their medications (or stopped taking all of them) on their own, and haven't told their doc. Coumadin is one of the most common of these. You may risk needing more hospital visits than you might now need, and may having a worsening of your condition. TAKE COUMADIN OR NOT, IT IS TOO RISKY NOT TO TELL YOUR DOC