Is tuberculosis contagious?

Hello my mother s neck (left side) little bit shallow.after consultation with medicine DR.he give some medicine and referred to a surgical Dr. After surgery Biopsy report shows there is germs of tb. And from last day her treatment for tb is continue nd Dr.said she need to take medicine till 1 year .so is there any difficulties? And is this contagious. If so how it ill? What type of caution we need to take if contagious.pls let me know.
Wed, 24 Sep 2014
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for your question on HCM. In my opinion by your history, your mother is having Cervical Lymphnode Tb. And this is extrapulmonary TB so it is not contagious. I suggest to go for chest x ray and if this is normal than forget about contagious. Only pulmonary Tb is contagious. Infection spreads by droplet infection through coughing, sneezing etc. So if your mother is not having cough and chest x ray is clear than no need to worry as she is not contagious. For general information about spread of TB.
1. Tb spread by droplet infection so pulmonary Tb patient should use mask in public places and at home.
2. Do not spitt anywhere. Use close containers.
And treatment of Tb last for atleast 6 month. After 6 months, decision of prolonging treatment is taken on the basis of symptoms and clinical improvement.