Is tuberculosis a contagious disease?

Hi, I currently work at my university clinic as a student worker. My duties include taking patients to the hospital and today I had to take someone who tested positive for TB (montoux) and I was wondering if i should be worried of it being contagious.. She was wearing a mask but her boyfriend wasn t and i don t know the possible risks and what i should do to be sure of my health.
Mon, 22 Feb 2016
Thanks for posting in HCM.
I understand your concern.
Tuberculosis is a contagious disease. Most common mode of transmission is through the respiratory tract.
However, BCG vaccination in childhood would offer some amount of immunity against the disease. Also, if your immune system is in good condition, it can fight the organisms and prevent infection.
It would be advisable to take precautions by wearing mask and washing the hands thoroughly while in contact with active cases.
Hope the information provided would be helpful.
All the best.