Is thyroid test essential during pregnancy ?

I am 3 months pregnant now and got my blood, HIV and urine test done. Is Thyroid test is essential during preganacy? Please advice.
Sat, 21 Jan 2012
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Thyroid test is not routinely done in pregnancy.

It is advisable to get your thyroid function evaluated if:
you are currently on treatment for a thyroid disorder
you have a history of thyroid disorder in the past
you currently have symptoms suggestive of thyroid disease

Hope I have answered your query.

Hi, I am at 19 +6 weeks of pregnancy. At 4 months My blood test show na TSH of 0.09, the doctor said to wait until next week to have a new check. This is my second pregnancy, I m 37 yeas old and never have thyroid problem before. Have all my check nod blood test done in October and was all perfect, included the thyroid. Should I be worried?

I have been I ll for four weeks and in the last week been diagnosed with thyroiditist. I have had no previous problems. The blood test has come back with T4 at 52.6 and TSH 0.01. Still waiting T3 etc. My symptoms are totally that of an under active thyroid and yet the doctor won t prescribe me anything other than beta blockers as my test results indicate an over active thyroid, which Im sure would worsen my symptoms. He doesn t seem interested in the T3 results and cant explain why my symptoms are opposite to my test result. Do you have any thoughts? Should I get a second opinion?

I had a TSH of 1 pre-pregnancy on 75 mcg of synthroid. When I got pregnant, my TSH went up to 5.09 (around week 5-6 of gestation). Dr. raised synthroid to 100 mcg and over 4 weeks TSH dropped to 2.3. Just had TSH tested one month later (week 14 of gestation) and TSH went up to 3.53. Any thoughts?

Recent questions on  Thyroid disease

Hi, I have had a fluttery feeling in my throat off and on for a couple of weeks and /or palpitations.Also a sensation that there is something in there or in my upper chest. Heart rate is regular, no other symptoms. I am hypothyroid for many years. It is not severe, just bothers me and I worry what it is.

hi,i went through total thyroidectomy 3 months back.my heart is beating hard and i feel like i will have a heart attack..my tsh level is normal..i take 125 mg of thyroxine daily..also i am 20 years old..why is my heart beating like i will get a heart attack?

My mother is 89 and on hospice care for advanced A.D. she has developed, over past year, an indentation on the top of her skull running left to right about three inches back from the front of the scalp. She has several large nodules on her thyroid, but her endocrinologist declined to pursue with needle biopsy or surgery due to her age and advanced disease, A.D. what do you think could be the cause of the changes in the top of her skull, indentation. She also has had significant loss in brain mass in past 12 years per MRI studies ren years apart.

My psychiatrist added 25 mcg of liothyronine, I started taking it Thursday 3-19, to be increased to 50 mcg after one week to augment my depression that has been resistent to other antidepressants. I don t have enough energy to leave the sofa. I also have panic disorder. I have gained about 35 lbs. in about nine months. I m nervous after reading some of the reviews. Should I be. How long can I safely take this medication. Will my thyroid stop producing the harmone naturally if I stay on this medication? When I come off will my thyroid be normal? I have very high hopes that this will increase my metabolism and give me the energy I m lacking and aid in my depression. Thank you

Hi. A few days ago I started experiencing heart palpitations. I feel my heart fluttering in my chest and throat. It doesn't happen when I am moving around. It starts when I sit down, upright on the couch or in a chair. It stops when I lie down or...

I recently got AMA - Anti Microsomal Antibody test done. The range was supposed to be 34 as Positive. My reading showed a Value of 91. The lab person said this is very high. Can you plz let me know If I need to get any further tests done to know...

Thank you. About three weeks ago, I noticed a slight redness of skin at throat area. It waned and is now back on all over the front of my neck. The skin seems puffed and is very red. No small or large bumps on skin. My throat is mildly sore.