Is thyroid test essential during pregnancy ?

I am 3 months pregnant now and got my blood, HIV and urine test done. Is Thyroid test is essential during preganacy? Please advice.
Sat, 21 Jan 2012
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Thyroid test is not routinely done in pregnancy.

It is advisable to get your thyroid function evaluated if:
you are currently on treatment for a thyroid disorder
you have a history of thyroid disorder in the past
you currently have symptoms suggestive of thyroid disease

Hope I have answered your query.

Hi, I am at 19 +6 weeks of pregnancy. At 4 months My blood test show na TSH of 0.09, the doctor said to wait until next week to have a new check. This is my second pregnancy, I m 37 yeas old and never have thyroid problem before. Have all my check nod blood test done in October and was all perfect, included the thyroid. Should I be worried?

I have been I ll for four weeks and in the last week been diagnosed with thyroiditist. I have had no previous problems. The blood test has come back with T4 at 52.6 and TSH 0.01. Still waiting T3 etc. My symptoms are totally that of an under active thyroid and yet the doctor won t prescribe me anything other than beta blockers as my test results indicate an over active thyroid, which Im sure would worsen my symptoms. He doesn t seem interested in the T3 results and cant explain why my symptoms are opposite to my test result. Do you have any thoughts? Should I get a second opinion?

I had a TSH of 1 pre-pregnancy on 75 mcg of synthroid. When I got pregnant, my TSH went up to 5.09 (around week 5-6 of gestation). Dr. raised synthroid to 100 mcg and over 4 weeks TSH dropped to 2.3. Just had TSH tested one month later (week 14 of gestation) and TSH went up to 3.53. Any thoughts?

Recent questions on  Thyroid disease

hai iam 40yrs old lady having thyroid and bp and for the past 20 days my bp was shooting and i had med yesterday only and today though it has reduced i have more palpatation and my pulse rate is very high as 110 and i also have lungs problem for which i take medicines in need help me out for how to continue medication and what is the normal pulse rate

I had a baby 18 months ago and previous to that suffered from Hyperthyroid due to a virus. I was suffering from significant tachycardia and excessive sweating at that time. RAI Uptake was done etc, Virus resolved rendering my thyroid now Hypoactive for the last 4 years. I am currently taking Synthroid 150mcg. I have been a runner my entire life however first trimester complications caused that to cease. I am not just getting back into it and training for a half marathon. I have noted that my heart rate even after 5 minutes of running is around 186 bpm. I went to my GP to have my TSH and T4 checked to be sure I wasn t over medicated. Everything was normal. His response to this high BPM was to add a Beta-blocker. I have leary of taking it because I have read it will greatly affect my performance while running. I also get a quivering type feeling here and there through out the day in my heart. I get extremely flush almost purple in my face when running. I m wondering if there could something significantly more wrong than the thyroid affect as my GP has mentioned. I asked for a stress test and he said I didn t need one. I am 34 years old, slightly overweight still from post-partum. no other medical conditions, no history of any previous medical conditions other than Gestational Induced Hypertension and ecclampsia which clearly has resolved and Gestational Diabetes which also resolved.

I had thyroid surgery several years ago and my Thyroid was removed, a months later and my vocal cords callapsed and were shown open, this was in 2005. Lately I have lose my voice and I am having a hard time breathing; in the past 6 months. There is no soreness redness or swelling. I have had my primaire care physician examined me and there is good air flow in my lungs.

I noticed that have yellowish parts in my hands and i ve been losing weight very quickly, I ve also been getting slight lightheadedness at different times of the day, My appetite has also increased, I get hungry a lot. I ve recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroiditis which is puzzling to me because from what I know, underactive thyroid symptoms point to weight gain not extreme weiht loss. Can you help? Thanks

Hi. A few days ago I started experiencing heart palpitations. I feel my heart fluttering in my chest and throat. It doesn't happen when I am moving around. It starts when I sit down, upright on the couch or in a chair. It stops when I lie down or...

I recently got AMA - Anti Microsomal Antibody test done. The range was supposed to be 34 as Positive. My reading showed a Value of 91. The lab person said this is very high. Can you plz let me know If I need to get any further tests done to know...

Thank you. About three weeks ago, I noticed a slight redness of skin at throat area. It waned and is now back on all over the front of my neck. The skin seems puffed and is very red. No small or large bumps on skin. My throat is mildly sore.