• question-icon

Is this cholera ?

My son is having multiple vomiting and diarrhoea. He has had about 6 to 8 episodes since last night. It is very watery and no blood.. The frequency of passing stools is decreased now. We all had had our dinner outside last night.. Worried if this could be cholera?? please help...
Wed, 3 Apr 2013
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. because you has dinner last night resulting in vomiting and diarrhea, it could be more of Gastro enteritis (food poisoning) than cholera.
2. If the place where you took the dinner was unhygienic, it could be possible Amoebiasis, Salmonellosis.
3. go for a Microscopic Examination of stool , which will help in diagnosing your condition better.
4. because there was multiple episodes, make sure he is under regular supervision of doctor, to prevent dehydration due to vomiting and diarrhea.

murali's  Response

we cannot diagnose choler with out examining and with out lab reports ,its better u take him to doctor.meanwhile give him plenty of water if not he will land up in dehydration which is dangerous.

Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Manish Rijhwani's  Response
It seems to be gastroenteritis
Cholera is characterised by severe watery stools with severe abdominal pains and the colour of stools is rice water type
Stool culture will rule out the diagnosis
nuria's  Response
Hi.. Eating outside food can lead to acute gastroenteritis, especially if consumed at an unhygeinic condition
tsui-chen's  Response

Cholera is charcterised by passing very frequent (more than 12 to 15 episodea0 of thin watery stools. You may also find mucous particles in it..
mohdyusof_'s  Response

The diagnosis is done only on examination on culture of the stool or through a hanging drop preparation of the stool.
Siddha Kumar's  Response

Cholera is a medical emergency and needs to treated immediately to avoid complications. It needs hospitalisation
maria's  Response

So it is better to get your son checked by the doctor to know the cause..