Is this BP level normal?

12 day average BP has been 131/98 with a 78 heart rate. Checked with a very good in- home arm cuff device? I am a physical active African American male, 48 years old. 5 foot 9 and weight 202. I average 3-4 workouts a week; mainly cycling for 45 minutes at very vigorous pace and also light weights workout etc. I eat relatively well, don't smoke, and might have 2 drinks once or twice a week. Am i in danger here???
Mon, 6 Jul 2015
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello. Thank you for your question. Welcome to HCM.

I carefully read your query. I will start my answer, by clearing the normal blood pressure figures: systolic 100-139 mmHg and diastolic 60-89 mmHg. It happens in vigorously trained athletes that these figures go up on various periods during day. Given your age (>45 years of age) you are in risk for high blood pressure (hypertension) and cardiovascular events. I am not saying that this is a reason to worry, per se, but this is standard for all male population of the world. Therefore, I would suggest you run some tests. First, I recommend you to be put on a 24-hour blood pressure monitor, to determine if there is hypertension or not. If yes, proper treatment should be instituted. At this point, I would also recommend that you restrict salt intake to a minimum and restrict your drinking to a maximum of 30 g ethanol a day (a beer or a glass of wine a day). Also, I would recommend you run some blood tests: urea, creatinine, AST, ALT, electrolytes, total cholesterol, LDL fraction and triglyceride. After we have test results back, we can discuss about further measures in tretment.

I hope I was helpful. Take care.