Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Is there any treatment to cure crigler najjar syndrom type 2 ?

hello doctor! i m 13 yrs old and i have crigler najjar type 2.i got it from my dad and have it since birth .i dont have anyother problems. my full body looks yellow and i dont like it. i have done liver check up and ultrasound too.everything is normal.only my billirubin is high.i m taking phenobarbitone.i dont want to look yellow. is there any treatment for it other than phenpbarbitone.
Asked On : Mon, 11 Jul 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  74
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello.Welcome to HCM is an inherited cause of unconjugated hyperbilirubinemia presenting in the first days of life with jaundice and with or without CNS symptoms.The ultimate treatment is liver transplant before irreversible kernicterus develops.Till then carry on with phenobarbitone.Thanks and good luck.
Answered: Tue, 31 Jan 2012
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Phenobarbitone is a common method to treat Type II Criggler Najar syndrome. Not many therapeutic regimen exist but blood transfusion at intervals can help to some extent. You need to avoid smoking and alcohol. Get your liver function tests and other tests done if you are having recent appearance of yellow colour from before to rule out other conditions which can cause jaundice like Hepatitis as well.
Answered: Tue, 12 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor