Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Is there any treatment for Traction Alopecia ?

Please help. I have lost most of my hair around my scalp area. A Demotologist suspects Traction Alopecia . She says nothing can be done. I have had this for about 6yrs. I don t know what kind of doctor to see. I am in Utica N.Y. Help please. I wear a scarf or headband. I am ashamed for people to see my head. I cry a lot.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Mar 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  440
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
  User's Response
Dear, Welcome to HealthcareMagic!
Traction alopecia is a type of alopecia due to abnormal hair styles which cause physical traction resulting in hair loss. It is a type of scarring alopecia. There is usually slow onset of hair loss without symptoms. In early stages, behavioral modification ie. avoiding traction is most critical. If there is loss of follicles, I think you should go for hair transplant.
Please consult another dermatologist & a plastic surgeon. Good luck.
Answered: Sun, 13 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Homeopath Dr. Rangadhar Satapathy's  Response
Hi welcome to health care magic
Yes if there is loss of hair follicles as Dr.Naven kumar advised absolutely right, hair transplant is only advisable. If some hair follicles are still alive then if you would like for any alternative treatment then can try for homeopathy treatment. It is helping in alopecia.
Thank you for contacting us ..Have a great day
Answered: Sun, 13 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh's  Response
first of all dont be ashamed for a thing that is not under your control
you can always get another opinion and if the condition is not curable you can go for hair transplant
hope you get proper treatment and be all right
Answered: Tue, 15 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Homeopath Dr. KOMAL vig's  Response
hello..‘Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum’.

the best way is to get a hair follice test done.. in this test analysis of the hair follicle can be done as to how much percentage of healthy hair follicle are present..
and the quality of the remaining hair present ..
by this analysis it will be easy to decide either hair regrowth is possible by homeopathic medicines or a hair transplant is required..
sometimes even wearing a scalf or headband can damage the hair..
hair sprays will be useful to hide the baldness..
wishing you good health..
Answered: Sun, 13 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor