Is there any remedy for difficulty sleeping, feeling of gagging while sleeping?

I have for my whole life had trouble finding peaceful sleep. I m going to be 60 years old this year and for the past several years I have to sleep in a recliner. Seems that when I lay in a bed I stop breathing, scares the hell out of me. I wake up with a gag. Its happened to me twice in November and once in December of 13. Since I ve been in the recliner I haven t stopped breathing, however, quallity of sleep seems less then what I was getting rolling the dice in a bed, wondering if I will wake up.
Thu, 9 Jan 2014