Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Is there any medicine to stop growing the height ?

Dear Doctor , is there anyway possible to stop growing like taking pills or a shot that wont harm me because I m sixteen and already six foot six!
Sat, 21 May 2011
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
  User's Response
I just saw your post as I am travelling.
This is all you wanted to know about Epiphysiodesis:
- This surgery will be performed after confirmation with an Endocrinologist about your bone age and the years of pending growth.
- Epiphysiodesis is a surgery which only prevents further growth. It doesnt decrease your present height.
- It will be done by an Orthopaedician.
- If you don't have any more growth pending, i.e you have attained skeletal maturity, there's no point going for 'Epiphysiodesis', as there's no further growth.
- This surgery would be performed around the knees only as this is the most active growing part of our body.
- It can either be done by fixing small plates around your knees or by excising the growth plate around your knees. In total, there are 4 growth plates around your knee.

- Now, if you wanna get shorter than what you are, there's another surgery wherein the bone will be cut short and then fixed with plate and screws.
- I hope too much of info isn't messing you up.

- Please visit an Endocrinologist first and then we decide on what has to be done.
- Your queries are welcome, Dear.
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Hi again,
The recovery time following epiphysiodesis is within 1-2 weeks depending upon the pain you tolerate.You can start ambulating following this period and wont require crutches or walkers too.
However, if the surgery planned is shortening and fixation with plate, you can start non weight bearing walking with crutch support on the next day after surgery. Gradual weight bearing after a period of 6 weeks will follow.
Rehabilitation is required following any major limb surgery and you will require the same till restoration to normalcy.
Your approximate calculated height is 6 feet 1 inch. Its not normal for a guy from the Indian race to have a height of 6 feet 6 inch.
Height shouldn't cause circulation problems or fatigability.

I will be available for your followup queries.
I find this answer helpful
Neurologist Dr. Hilal's  Response
Your actual hight should be ( father+mother )hight /2its called mid parental hight ,if your hight is more then mid parental hight . It can be a disease? acromegaly you should consult with endocrinologist
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Stop worrying as there's a solution to your problem. If your average height doesn't match that of your race/ ethnic, consult an Endocrinologist as a hormonal imbalance should be ruled out initially. He will require a battery of blood tests for hormonal levels and an Xray to estimate your bone age as it might precede your actual age. After its sorted out, further growth can be stopped by a minor day care surgery procedure called epiphysiodesis.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor