Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Is there any medicine for hyperthyroid ?

I am just detected hyperthyroid However my T3 and T4 are normal I am on Iodine diet The doctor has advised radioactive iodine scan and Iodine uptake.Do you think it is right? Can the doctor prescribe any medicine or Is there any other alternative medicine?
Asked On : Thu, 3 Feb 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  274
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine 's  Response
Thyroid scan and iodine uptake are necessary to differentiate between thyroiditis (a form of destruction of thyroid with release of preformed hormones into blood) from hyperfunction of thyroid (Graves disease, toxic MNG and adenoma).
This is very important as thyroiditis is usually self limiting while the others require prolonged treatment.
There is no other alternative to iodine uptake study. So, kindly get the test done as your doctor prescribed.
Answered: Thu, 5 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
First of all pl.go for test as advised.Your doctor needs to reason for hyper activity of thyroid gland.You might be having symptoms for this also and some visible increase in size of thyroid.Scan helps to identify the problem areas and also help to diagnose the condition.After diagnosis in simple cases medication is available to control this.
Answered: Thu, 3 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor