Is there any long term side effects ELDICET for IBS?

For last one year I am suffering from irregular bowel even have to three four times a day, after taking any food having bowel tendency and pain at stomac. As per advice of doctor done number of test even clonoscopy but found nothing. Finally diagonise IBS and prescribe ELDICET, with this medicine my problem is less but if this medicine is withdrawn same problem arise. I have taken this medicine for more than 2 month and afraid of any side effect. Kindly advice pls.
Thu, 20 May 2021

The treatment of IBS with Eldicet is usually long, therefore one may have to take it for long times and for years many a times. Also, sometimes, after the stoppage of the drug, you may have to re-start the drug for relief in your symptoms. Though, the side effects of this drug have not been studied extensively, still by and large, it appears a safe drug for long term use.

The usual side effects, which are common to this drug, include abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dysphagia and some times esophageal erosions. Other side effects like rash, pruritus, urticaria and erythema may also be present some times. However, fortunately, these side effects are usually transient and go by themselves with time. Still, lesions in esophagus resulting in severe dysphagia may sometimes make it necessary to stop this drug.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician