Is there any danger in taking zanax along with the oxyno?

My son is 36-- 2years ago he had a spinal injury and suffers from chronic back pain and has major problems sleeping .He was taking 5m valium(max of 7 pills ) over the course of a month when he was desperate for sleep. He is on Oxyneo for the pain. His dr. has refused him valium but has given him zanax which seems to be helping is there a danger taking Zanax with the oxyneo?
Fri, 28 Jun 2019

Alprazolam (Xanax) produces additive CNS depressant effects with OxyNeo (extended-release formulation of the oxycodone). Diazepam (Valium) is of the same benzodiazepine drug family as Alprazolam.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas, Internal Medicine Specialist