Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
153 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Is there any alternative treatment for hypoplastic anemia?

my father [a 76 year old] is suffering with hipoplastic anemia since september 2008 and given 5 to 6 unit packed red cells every two 2009 he was also implanted with pace maker. doctors say his age is mainly cause of not implanting bone marrow. is there any treatment to cure him
Tue, 6 May 2014
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. since his age is main concern for not transplanting bone marrow thus two measures left are :
i. Supportive care: blood transfusion [already giving] make sure to include:
. growth factors [ cause your bone marrow to produce more blood cells especially Erythropoietin (EPO)],
. iron chelation to treat iron overload [ a side effect of getting many red blood cell transfusions]
PS. Any herb may cause fungal infection, which may be detrimental in situation like aplastic anemia, since there is also low white blood cells you may be at risk for infection
.Immuno suppressive Therapy: uses medicines to keep the immune system from attacking the bone marrow stem cells, but since lowers body immune response thus alternative treatment can be started/initiated to alleviate the symptoms.

2. daily use of amalaki which contains vitamin C and food containing vitamin E helps alleviating the symptoms.
. eat a well-balanced diet, you may contact a dietitian, nutritionist for counselling

PS. Make sure to check with your doctor before taking any medicines, supplements, vitamins, or herbs. They may interact with your medicines and prevent them from working or increase the risk of side effects.
. Always carry an ID card that states he have a pacemaker, so that necessary considerations can be carried out, if performing any procedure.

I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Respected Sir/Madam, I am 23 years old male, the youngest in my family having 2 older brothers, residing in Okara, Punjab, Pakistan. I was serving...

Recent questions on  Anemia

doctor1 MD

my father is 69. has been in and out of hospital for last 4 weeks.
started with a cut in the foot..then blood infection from the cut..same time...

doctor1 MD

my 98 year old mom was in my house. she had an infected bed sore. she was put on antibiotics at home and got a bad reaction with swelling and...

doctor1 MD

I am a 23 year old female, 130lbs, and am in what I consider to be good health. I have had frequent nosebleeds since a very young age (probably...

doctor1 MD

Hi I have been feeling light headed every morning now soon after I wake up while i am preparing breakfast and it stays fir about hours then I am...

doctor1 MD

getting pain in some parts of chest in random time any type of injections for D3 and B12 and dose for same as per reports

doctor1 MD

Do you think at ESA therapy is a good option for a 90 yo male with CKD stage 3A? RBC count is 2.91; HGB 9.9; HCT 29.1; platelet count 104; GFR est...

doctor1 MD

I had routine bloodwork done and all tests came back normal except for a raised ferratin 575. When tested again 6 weeks later it came back at...