Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

167 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is there any alternate way of avoiding gum problems

This is regarding the Gum problems. Actually this is the problem am facing frm last 6 yesrs. every time I visit the doctor they suggest of doing Scaling and after that it use to be ok. every year I use to do scaling and it use to be ok. This year I had gone for it and its bleeding too much. Is there any alternate way of avoiding this.
Fri, 29 Jun 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
hi.for proper gum health u need to give adequate emphasis over the cleaniness of oral cavity.most important things is to brush your teeth twice daily with proper technique.if u r more prone to deposition of plaque and calculus then use antiplaque mouthwash and dental floss.u can go for scaling once a year but the most important thing is to improve ur brushing technique.wish u good health
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
hello peter,
this gum problem is due to poor oral i will suggest you please brush your teeth properly twice daily.use mouthwash for 15 days and discontinue for a week and after that can start again but discontinue after 15 days for a week each time.because it can stain your teeth.and rinse after meal each time properly.and please maintain good oral hyagiene.and go for regular checkup to your dentist twice annually.go for scaling if needed otherwise do not. take care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response
Care of gums and teeth can be done by brushing teeth twice daily using a soft tooth brush, flossing of teeth once daily, cleaning of tongue using tongue cleaner, changing of tooth brush once in 3 months, massaging of gums with finger after brushing and scaling of teeth atleast once in a year.
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, if gum bleeding is too much, it suggests that your gums are too infected and inflamed. Please consult a good periodontist. He is the person who is specialised in gum and bone diseases and treatment. You may need a flap surgery if your gums are in a bad state. A proper thorough scaling along with proper medication (both for local application and oral use) may also resolve the problem. Take care and reach me on 9848813162 in case you need help.
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sushil Babu's  Response
well u seem to suffering from chronic periodontitis which is a condition of long standing inflammation of u r gums n periodontium ,,,
first thing u said u got ur scalings done yearly but i would suggest to go for scaling on a 6 monthly basis specially whn ur too prone for the said condition
secondly u need to ask opinion from from a periodontist who can only give u advise on a through dental n medical checkup
so dont worry consult ur dentist for an appointment with a periodontist n follow the advise specially with maintainnence of good hygiene
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  User's Response
the best way to avoid gum related problems is to use dental floss. other wise plaque and calculus will continue to deposit and you will have no other alternative but to go for scaling atleast twice a year
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....