Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Is there any alternate option to remove gall stone other than surgery ?

Hello doctor , I am a 31yrs old male....i had an ultra sound scan recently which showed a gall stone of 6.8mm.....Is there any alternate option to remove the stones rather than surgery ...If not whether there exists any surgery which removes gall stones without removing the gall bladder?Is the gall bladder removal affects a person s health in anyway causing post surgical problems?is there any method to dissolve the gall stone?pls reply me doctor.....
Asked On : Sat, 17 Dec 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  459
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
Please read the answer on assuming that the gall stone you have mentioned is in the gall bladder; in other words we are discussing about gallbladder stone.
1. If you do not have symptoms referable to the gallbladder stone which is of ~ 7 mm diameter, you need not hurriedly go in for surgery. You can monitor the course of the stone by serial ultrasound scans (once every 6 months for initial 2 years, followed by once a year). Decision to operate can be taken anytime if the need arises (e.g. continued dyspeptic symptoms like indigestion in the absence of acid reflux (proven on endoscopy) / attacks of acute infection / jaundice etc.).
2. If indication for surgery is clear-cut, then removal of the gall bladder is the operation of choice in today's time.
3. Only stones can't be removed leaving behind the gall bladder to avoid the recurrence of stone formation.
4. If the operation has gone well without complications, then usually there are no post-operative problems.
5. Medicines are available even in modern medical field to dissolve stones. However, these medicines can't be prescribed life-long due to their potential side effects. Moreover, +ve effect if any, reverts back after the medicine is discontinued.
Answered: Wed, 13 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Nephrologist Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha's  Response
Thanks for the query

Yes there are options like ercp which is a minimally invasive procedure which can be done

Removjng the gall bladder will have some side effects like bloating and burping. Which can be partially controlled by drugs
There are no medical methods of treatment to solve your issue. There are currently no drugs to melt the stones

Have a speedy recovery
Answered: Sat, 17 Dec 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Hello.Welcome to HCM forum.There is a medicine available in the name of UDILIV or UDCA or UDIHEP (150mg tab) which is used for dissolving the gall stones.The basic salt in the medicine is URSODEOXYCHOLIC ACID.Dissolution of gall stones is a very slow process and the patient compliance is often poor.Treatment takes very long time and is expensive.Dose of the medicine is 450-600 mg daily in two divided doses.Recurrence is common once the treatment is discontinued.Because of these problems laproscopic cholecystectomy is the preferred treatment.Thanks and good luck.
Answered: Sat, 17 Dec 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor