Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Is there a written test for Dementia patients?

Hey Dr. Sam is there a written test I can give my mother inlaw to show her 2 sons she has dementia and needs to see a doctor. I fear she will hurt herself as I know she can no longer live alone. Her sons don t really want to deal with it and she can NOT LIVE ALONE ANY LONGER. My doctor said there was one I could print out for her to take on your website but I can t find it.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  80
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Dementia is a chronic illness. It develop slowly, due to that diagnosis is delayed in most of the cases. Before any test it is important to take detail history to know about problem, type of dementia, cause of dementia and to rule out other condition which can present as dementia like initial stage of depression.

Test like MMSE (mini mental status examination) is used by trained professionals to assess cognitive function of dementia. It is better to visit nearby psychiatrist or neurologist for diagnosis and management.

Wish you all the best.

Dr Ashish Kumar Mittal
Answered: Sun, 10 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor