Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Is there a way to calm my self down ?

I have an anxiety issue with throwing up and sometimes I will get a lump in my throat and a strange feeling in my stomach and throat this is an attack. Is there a way to calm my self down ? I have tried breathing but it just does not work.
Asked On : Mon, 8 Mar 2010
Answers:  2 Views:  416
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  Anonymous's Response

that is the most difficult thing in normal life and that too in anxiety it is more difficult. deep breathing though does not show instantaneous results it is quite helpful and you should consider it.

Answered: Wed, 10 Mar 2010
Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hi Michael,

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for your question.

Though anxiety is a common thing that all of us experience, sometimes, it can be excessive and cause a lot of distress. From the brief history of your symptoms (where you mention that your anxiety comes as an "attack"), it appears that you may be having a panic disorder - which is a form of anxiety disorder which comes in sudden bouts.

Now as far as dealing with your anxiety is concerned, there are options of using medication or psychological therapies / relaxation techniques or a combination of these.
Breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, imagery, meditation, etc. are some of the simple relaxation techniques. There are also other forms of psychological therapies or talking therapies like cognitive behaviour therapy and many others which do work well for anxiety disorders.
However, sometimes, medication may be required to control your anxiety / panic attacks if they are severe or if the other methods do not produce results.

My advise to you would be to consult a doctor, preferably a psychiatrist to have yourself evaluated and discuss about what therapy is the best for you.

Take care and wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Wed, 21 Dec 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor