Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Is there a possibility of pregnancy after getting periods post intercourse ?

hi sir/madam. i m 25yrs old. i did sex with my mate on 28th january 2012 and got my period on 30th jan. but after that my periods skipped for 2 months and till date i m worried for the same. i want to ask you that, is there any possibilities of getting pregnant even though i got period jst after one day of intercourse??i am afraid of getting pregnant at this stage of my life. if such things happen then what will be the remedies. please help.
Asked On : Wed, 11 Apr 2012
Answers:  5 Views:  113
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
As you had intercourse with your mate two days before menstrual period, there is no possibility of getting pregnant. Once a woman becomes pregnant, her menstrual period stops. You got your menstrual period on 30th January, itself rules out any pregnancy before that, which you can further confirm by simple pregnancy test. You are not having any menstrual period for more than two months till today, requires examination and investigations. You should consult a Gynaecologist.
Wish you good health,
Answered: Wed, 11 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
OBGYN Dr. Rhea Chanda's  Response
Thanks for the query.
Ideally you should not get pregnant if you had a proper period on 30th jan and you last intercourse was on 28th jan. However,in odd cases,its always better to rule out the possibility of pregnancy with a urine test. If negative then you probably have some hormonal imbalance and need to be treated accordingly.
If positive,then you should get a ultrasound first to date the period of pregnancy.After that you need to consult you doctor for the available choices to terminate.

Answered: Wed, 11 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
OBGYN Dr. S Patra's  Response
Mar 2016
Welcome to health care magic.
Your LMP is 30th Jan and missed period for 2 months.
So first of all,you do a urine HCG test to confirm your pregnancy.
If negative,don't be worried. It may be due to Hypothyroid,excessive body wt,anorexia or poly cystic ovarian disease. So do a USG to evaluate underlying pathology.
If positive,then that may be spotting on 30th Jan.
If you want MTP at 2 months of gestational age ,you consult your gynecologist and follow her advice.You get better result in early wks MTP.
Practice safe sex in future.
All the best.

For more information,consult
Answered: Wed, 11 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases Dr. Hema Yadav's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare magic forum.
Pregnancy occurs if the intercourse occurs around the time of ovulation which makes it possible for the male sperm to unite with the female egg or ovum. This ovulation usually occurs between the 11_14 th day in a regular menstrual cycle of 28 days.If intercourse occurs within or around this period then chances of pregnancy are high .
However sperms can survive in female genital tract upto 3_5 days and so even on other days the possibility of pregnancy cannot be denied.Assuming you had regular cycles one day prior to menses is usually a safe period or unfertile period which makes it very unlikely for pregnancy to occur, however it cannot be termed impossible.
Also a second possibility is that the bleeding you had was not your regular period but a case of implantation bleeding which occurs in the first few days of pregnancy when the embryo gets embedded in the wall of the uterus.
So , however rare it may be if you regular periods before, and sudden ammenorrhoea for the last two cycles after the
unprotected sex then it's best that you rule out a pregnancy.
Please do not panic, I understand your concern and would advise you to carry out a home urine pregnancy test as soon as feasible.If its positive you should consult a gynaecologist and get an ultrasound done to confirm the gestational age and site.Depending on which, your doctor may prescribe you oral and vaginal medications for termination of pregnancy or advise you to go for a minor surgical evacuation procedure.
This is the safest way and I request you to never attempt self medication in such case as it can cause life threatening complications.Also, in future, please use appropriate precaution like condoms to save yourself from unwanted pregnancy as well as sexually transmitted infections.
Any authorised ethical doctor will not disclose his patients case to anyone so you need not be embarrassed or worried to approach for medical consultation.
Wish you good health.
Answered: Thu, 12 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Kamal Kishore Bandil's  Response
Hello Debo,

Welcome to HCM.
Don't worry the time you did sex is called safe period so there is no chance of you becoming pregnant due to this sex.
Even you told that you got periods after that so again the chances of pregnancy gone.
Now the periods are not there that is due to your anxiety so be relaxed and no tension you will get your periods within 3 days.
Otherwise you can get pregnancy test done and forget tension.
MTP is the only remedy available on pregnancy.

Answered: Wed, 11 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor