Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
190 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Is there a permanent treatment unlike botox for facial spasms?

My name is Mrs. Tara Jhawar residing at Kanpur U.P. I m suffering from Left Hemi Facial Spasm since 10 years. The left eye with connected muscles are twiching reguarly. Doctors are give medicines and ask for Botox, but these are temporary treatment. Please advice a permanant cure.
Mon, 9 Jan 2017
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures ,  
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response

Actually you will need a neurosurgeon for choosing the best permanent treatment according to his physical examination. My advice would be according to degree of cases. Mild cases of hemifacial spasm may be managed with sedation or Carbamazepine (an anticonvulsant drug). Microsurgical decompression and botulinum toxin injections are the current main treatments used for hemifacial spasm.

For moderate to severe cases we use Microvascular decompression appears to be the most popular surgical treatment at present. Microvascular decompression relieves pressure on the facial nerve, which is the cause of most hemifacial spasm cases. Excellent to good results are reported in 80% or with a 10% recurrence rate.

Approximately 10% had previously failed surgery. Side effects include hematoma, swelling, infarction, and brain death. Botulinum toxin is highly effective in the treatment of hemifacial spasm. It has a success rate equal to that of surgery, but repeated injections may be required every 3 to 6 months. But it is a bit expensive.

Hope the above information helps you. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

i am 60 years old (female). For the past 7 years am suffering from left facial spasms.I took all kinds of treatment but no cure.At the moment I am...

Recent questions on  Plastic surgery

doctor1 MD

Hello doctor, Our kid fell down from 3 feet 3 days back. His head is directly hit the floor. There is no wound, but the surface of the forehead has...

doctor1 MD

We are off to Egypt and I believe we can get streptoquin there for tummy upset. Are you able to take this medicine if you are allergic to...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am 25 years old and I keep developing these boils around my inner and upper thighs and around my buttocks. At any given time I get only...

doctor1 MD

hello dr.s,I am 29 years,2 years a go i had a rhinoplasty surgery 2 or 3 month aftre it my pains in the left side of ma face begin,the center of it...

doctor1 MD

I am interested in having a breast lift and implants...I am 59 years good health! I am a bit scared, never had any surgery before, lol,...

doctor1 MD

Hello, this question is for a dermatologist or a general surgeon . I suffer from multiple lipomas in my arms, thighs and back. My questions: 1) Is...

doctor1 MD

My whole scalp is now a (Gel). I went to Specialists Dermatologist Dr's etc. They did many biopsies took pictures and only told me it's in GRANULAR...