Is there a more effective treatment for my erratic heartbeat?

Is there a more effective treatment for my erratic heartbeat than what I'm currently receiving? I am 55 and have been under treatment for an erratic heartbeat since I was in my late 20 s. However, the treatment I m presently receiving - 320 mg. of Inderal per day plus 1.5 mg of Xanax - is only partially effective. I am wondering if there might be a more effective treatment available to me. The condition doesn t bother me much when I am resting or relaxed. Though it seems to be triggered mostly by my emotions, I have noticed that more and more it flares up under physical strain as well. I seriously doubt if I could endure a stress test simply because the fear of such a test would probably trigger an episode before they could even start it. I ve never had any chest pains or any other symptoms of heart disease. I am also being treated for mildly high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol and an anxiety disorder. What bothers me most is the degree to which I am affected psychologically by all this. It puts a crimp in my lifestyle and keeps me from doing things that I might ...... otherwise do. Oh, and by erratic heartbeat , I am not alking about a rapid or racing heart. I am talking about a condition where the heart seems yo lose its rythm and creates a sensation of having a butterfly lose inside my chest. Also, I would prefer that only qualified medical personnel answer this question. Thanks.
Thu, 17 Dec 2009