• question-icon

Is the phototherapy harmful to the baby?

Hello Doctor...I am very happy that I have been blessed with boy baby on 2nd April 5:37 pm.Mother and the baby are fine.I wanted to have few clarification on the treatment provided to the baby.The doctor had advised to take blue fin test on 3rd april and test are as follows Free T3 Sample Serum Result 1.03 freet T4- 1.09 and TSH 9.67.Today morning when the pediatrician has advised to keep the baby in the photo therapy and has told us take one more blood test tomorrow morning.My question and want a suggestion from your end the following 1.Is the phototherapy harmful to the baby in any way ? what is the caution to be taken 2.is it fine to to keep taking blood test within the two days of the birth of the baby All i really understand its for the traetment and i am very much confused because i dont have any clarity on this from the doctor side
Thu, 29 Dec 2016
hi! I understand your concern. the baby had been started on photo therapy for jaundice. the baby may develop a rash due to it but that goes in a few days.also using protective covering for the eyes and genitals is required. but treating jaundice is more important than these side effects as high jaundice may cause brain damage. regarding blood tests whatever important investigation is required need to be done for proper treatment.