Is tegretol advised in case of high fever convulsion?

Hllo my daughter is 1 years and 8 months now...wen she was 11 months old she had her 1 st followed by high fever convulsion which lasted for a couple of minutes n againg wen she was 20 months she had another convulsion which lasted for about 45 minutes again after high...we had to take her to hospital n she was kept in icu for a day n later the doctor gave her tegretol 2.5 ml thrice daily....we were not conviced nand went to a specialised neurologist pediatric n she did an eeg n said its not normal n she suggested epilex 3 ml twice daily......to start she said to take epiles t.5 ml twicw daily n tegritol 2 ml thrice daily for the 1 st week n 3 ml epilex twice daily along with tegritol 1 mil thrice daily for the 2 nd week n frrom 3 rd week jus epilex 3 ml twicw daily........also the doctor said to take cloba tab for 3 days when she gets fever if she gets seizures again..please suggest how to go about it...is it the right direction..also i would like to add that we have a history or convulsion in our family i too had it....
Mon, 8 Jun 2015
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

As per your description, it's clear that your child has an epileptic disorder. Don't worry as they can be very well controlled now a days with new drugs. Children with family history of epilepsy are more likely to inherit this condition.
Sodium valproate ( Epilex) is definitely a better drug as compared to the Carbamazepine (Tegrital) for most of the epileptic disorders in childhood. Just go for a liver function test before continuing epilex as it may affect the liver in some children.

Also clobazam is a good antiepileptic to add on whenever she has high grade fever spikes because they may lead to break through seizures.

I think this treatment plan is fine and you can continue it with full compliance.

In case of any further information, you may always contact me. I would suggest you to upload your daughter's reports for my reference so that I may help you in a much better way.

Dr. Archana Verma