Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Is surgery the only option for the stones in the gall bladder?

Hello, I had a ultrasound done today and was told that the reason for my pain that I spoke to my doctor about was due to gallstones. I was also told that it was, my gallbladder, constricted I believe. Wanted to know if surgery is only option. If not, what else can be done?
Asked On : Sun, 8 Sep 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General Surgeon 's  Response
Apr 2013
Hi and welcome to HCM. Thanks for the query.
There is therapy with ursodeoxicolic acid and similar medicines which can decreases stone size,but this is not so efficient and usually stones occur again. Surgery is the most simple and most efficient therapy and there is permanent cure after it. it is mostly done laaprosocpically today and postoprative recovery is quick so you shouldnt be afraid of it. If you dont treat it,some serious consequances may occur. Wish you good health. Regards
Answered: Wed, 29 Jan 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor