Is surgery the only option for the occlusion of the left tibial artery?

My uncle is 72 years old,diabetic(on oral meds).He has been diagnosed with occulion of the lft anterior tibial artery proximal to the level of the ankle.his rt peroneal artery is occluded in the region of the mid calf with no sign. reconstitution distally.IS surgery his best choice.
Mon, 29 Feb 2016
No, Surgery would only be required if he has an ulcer which is not healing or if he has unbearable pain in that foot. Otherwise ha can be managed with medications and good diabetic control.
If he is very symptomatic then you can see a Vascular Surgeon and undergo an Angioplasty. It is not a surgery but an interventional procedure. It is quite minor and you need not worry about it.
Take care,
Dr Rishi, New Delhi, India.