Is surgery needed for constant pain due to a ruptured disc?

I have a ruptured disc which occurred 20 years ago. I have been getting along OK until recently and now have constant pain. Is surgery the answer, if so what would that entail? I am a recreational golfer and want to remain active and able to play golf
Wed, 18 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The constant pain that you have is best if treated surgically, This can cause a nerve root compression also.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.