Is surgery necessary for a closed fracture of the twelfth thoracic vertebrae?

i have a closed fracture of the twelfth thoracic vertebrae. How do I decide between surgical & non-surgical treatment? My doctor is suggesting surgery. I m a 68 yo female with osteoarthritis, and i sustained this injury in a fall down eight stairs.
Tue, 27 Feb 2018
I understood your query.. Look you are of 68 and fallen down from 8 stairs it implies its a major trauma..
Is there any neurological problem in your both the legs ?
How much the vertebra collapse or fractured to see it , it needs an x ray or preferably an MRI to rule out any nerve compression or injury..
If there is no nerve involvement and vertebra collapse is not much then it could be managed non surgically but if its high level then definitely go for surgery..
Hope i cleared your query.. happy to help you..