Owl Image

Is spitting saliva continuously good for health ?

spiting saliva continously is good for health and i dnt had any gum problems spiting saliva continously is good for health? Plz tell me
Thu, 5 Jan 2012
Any thing seen different from natural is not good from health point of view or social point of view.
There must be some thing which causes this problem.
There may be problem with your teeth like heavily tartered,infection in the gums,decayed teeth or recurrent ulcers in the mouth,
There may be some infection in the salivary gland.
There may be some sympathetic nerve stimulation.
Consult oral surgeon for cause and treatment accordingly.

Dentist Dr. K. Ravi Shekar's  Response

The average person produces up to 2 quarts (1.9 liters) of saliva a day. Saliva is about 98 percent water, and it is typically swallowed continually as produced as an involuntary reaction. Too much saliva can be the result of the glands that produce it becoming over active or from an individual swallowing less.

Reduced swallowing can be caused by a number of factors. Medical conditions that typically accompany reduced swallowing include sinusitis, either temporary or chronic; some allergies; hyperactivity of the salivary glands; and enlargement of the adenoids. Anything that causes sensitivity in the tongue or mouth also can cause an individual to swallow less often and sense that they have too much saliva.

Please visit your General physician once and get yourself evaluated to rule out the conditions mentioned. Also, if you have developed this as a habit, you need to try and break it as you can see that there is no harm in swallowing your own saliva.

And finally, spitting continuously may or may not be good for your health, but it is definitely bad for the health of others who are around you. So please help yourself get rid of the habit.

Good luck!