Is severe pain in the leg after an injury a symptom of a fracture?

Hello. I was hit by a drunk driver Saturday night. Went to the hospital by ambulance. A plastic surgeon sewed my face wound up. An er Dr decided without x rays that my leg was not broken but he did give me crutches. Naturally I feel awful. But I have had nothing to eat (in almost 2 days now) as I feel like I m gong to get sick if I eat. Now I have a low grade fever and I m up in the mountains far from medical help. My leg really hurts badly. So do my stitches on my face. Is it possibl my leg is actually broken? Thank you for whatever insight you may have for me. Linda
Mon, 16 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Severe pain sometimes could also be due to muscle / tendon injury , but to rule out fracture ,X rays are a must.
I recommend that you visit ER Again and demand an X ray at least. Ask them to give you splint or support for walking if x rays do not show a fracture.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.