Is severe pain from the calf to the ankle and lower back a symptom of sciatica?

Have bad knees, no cartilage left in either one after years of running- Am 83- 5 weeks ago had two injections first- steroid, 2nd hyaluronic acid- felt excellent- after two weeks had very strenuous weekend where I walked 12 miles in 2 days, climbed numerous sets of stairs- Left knee, the better one, is still good, right knee is worse than ever- waking is tough, bending it challenging and painful. When sitting pain shoots down my calf to the ankle- lower back not involved but back of thigh is also painful- Sciatica? could this have been brought on by the shots? My orthopedist suggested that I have the PRP treatment- Platelet rich plasma?? Any thoughts? Voltaren also suggested. Am on xarelto for PE.
Thu, 12 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The symptom that you have described is suggestive of sciatica. This can be confirmed after an MRI scan.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Praveen Tayal