Is severe pain around the umbilical area a symptom of hernia?

hi am 25 year old female & i had an umbilical hernia operation at 13 years ago, however am scared to get pregnant as i fear it may relapse the hernia. also i get a strong pain for a short time in the umbilical cord when its very cold, is this also related to the hernia?
Wed, 6 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

* As per my surgical experience, the pain around umbilical area does not necessarily indicate hernia presence.
* And the fear to get pregnant is also irrelevant.
* Kindly take an ultrasound report of the abdomen & pelvis to find out the underlying cause and manage accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
General & Family Physician Dr. Elona Dashi's  Response

I understand your problem but the chances that the umbilical hernia relapse are very low if the operation was done in the right way. I will suggest to have a ultrasonography of the abdomen to be sure that everything is ok with your umbilical hernia and not to worry anymore about it.