• question-icon

Is regurgitation a symptom of hiatus hernia?

Hi My daughters boyfriend has regular regurgitation in the mornings. He has had an endoscopy and diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia and been given Metaclopromide for his reflux symptoms. This morning he brought up some tissue like substance. It looks like a meaty substance- pink in colour. no other symptoms or pain and no blood. He picture of it- looks like undigested meat. Very odd ! Pls advise.
Thu, 10 Mar 2016
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,
Hiatus hernia is characterized by regurgitation, reflux, heart burn and water brash.
Metoclopromide will help to prevent regurgitation and will provide symptomatic relief.
Hiatus hernia is caused when a part of stomach slips into the thorax.
This occurs due to poor control of the gastro-esophageal junction.
Drugs may help to control the symptoms but definitive treatment is with surgery.
Surgery will correct the gastro-esophgeal control and prevent food and acid from regurgitating back from stomach to esophagus.
Thus, I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist for definitive management of hiatus hernia.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri