Is red vaginal discharge in a girl child indication of periods?

My daughter is 11 years old. She's 4 ft 6 inches and 59 lb. She has not develop breasts or have pubic hair. However, this mortning she had a light redish discharge in her underwear. Could she be starting her period? Is this possible with her stature? Or should I be taking her to the doctors right away? She is being watched carefully by her doctor because of her lack of growth and lack of weight gain.
Sat, 31 May 2014
Hi

Menarche(onset of menstruation) can sometimes occur before development of axillary /pubic hairs and breast development though very uncommon.
There is no cause for concern.
You can get a routine assessment from your Gynecologist.

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr T Shobha
MBBS,MD