Is pregnancy possible despite taking Postinor-2?

Hi doctor, I had a unprotected sex with my girlfriend four days after her period and the and five days later we met again unprotected. Then the following day she took postenor 2. please I want to know she will get pregnat or the medicine will prevent it. Thank you.
Fri, 18 Nov 2016
Thanks for posting in HCM.
Postinor 2 is an emergency contraceptive pill.
It has to be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse to prevent pregnancy from happening.
What your girlfriend has done is fine as she has taken the tablet the next day itself.
The pill would prevent pregnancy by causing withdrawal bleeding within 3 weeks from the day of its intake. You need to use other modes of contraception such as condom and spermicides in case you wish to have intercourse during the period until she gets the bleeding.
Such pills have a failure rate of 10 to 15%.
In case bleeding does not happen by 3 weeks, you need to take urine pregnancy test and consult Gynaecologist for further evaluation and management.
Hope the information provided would be helpful.
All the best.