Is pregnancy possible after receiving a birth control shot?

I got my first birth control shot a few days before my period started and the next day or the day after that I started my period. Then 9 days later I had unprotected sex. Minus the 0.01% could I be pregnant or is my anxiety just causing me to overthink? The doctor said to wait 7 days but I have really bad anxiety and I’m young so I want to know if I’m ok because I can’t go to my parents for help.
Fri, 1 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

According to your description, as you took the shot before menstrual flow, you can expect protection for that starting menstrual cycle. As you had intercourse 9 days after the shot, you can expect full protection by that time and the possibility of pregnancy is less. According to manufacturers if depo shot is taken at advised time, the failure rate is less than 1%. If you want to rule out even that, better to wait till your expected date of periods and if you miss your periods, please go for urine pregnancy test once. This is just for confirmation, as the possibility of pregnancy is very less, don't be anxious.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.