Is pregnancy possible after menopause?

Hi, I m 52 years old and I ve had the Mirena for just about 5 years. Due to come out in June 2018. I ve had my FSH levels tested to see if I have gone through menopause. My levels were at 116. Does this mean for sure, that I don t have to worry about getting pregnant? Or should I make plans to have the Mirena replaced?
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Usually absence of menstrual periods for around 12 months without any medical or iatrogrnic causes can be considered as menopause.
Though your fsh levels are elevated that alone cannot be taken as conformative evidence of Menopause, as sometimes in perimenopausal stage also fsh levels can be elevated and also hormonal supplements can alter the levels.
So, better to recheck the levels of FSH before the due date of Mirena, if levels are persistently high and endometrial thickness in ultrasound is less than or equal to 4mm, there is possibility of of nearing menopause.
In that case you can wait and observe your menstrual cycles for two to three months , if you are not getting menstrual periods, no need of Mirena.
But till that better to use barrier contraception like condoms to be on safe side.
Hope I have answered your query and I will be happy to answer any further queries.
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response

Don't take chances and better replace Mirena.

I hope this information has been helpful for you.

Regards.