Is pain in the upper abdomen along with constipation and diarrhea a serious issue?

For over a year I have had pain in my mid-left back that spread to my left upper abdomen, just under my ribcage/heart. For about 4 months now I have also been having alternating constipation and diarrhea with a very foul smell (the diarrhea is only once or twice a day before I get constipated again for several days). Since then I have also been getting nauseas on and off and have a decreased appetite most of the time, but no vomiting. I have lost almost 10 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I feel very fatigued, and my pain is only getting worse. It is usually a deep cramping, but at times it gets so sharp that it s hard to breathe until it subsides after a few moments. I went to the ER and they referred me to a gastro, she recommended an endoscopy but I can t afford it. Does this sound like something serious? If it s just IBS I don t want to ask family for money to get tests done, but if it could be serious I need to find help to pay for the testing.
Wed, 13 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

* As per my surgical experience, this may indicate underlying intestine issue of vivid presentation as inflammation, malignancy or others.
* I strongly recommend to consult an expert and take necessary CT scan, colonoscopy to find out the issue, as the normal upper GI endoscopy does not rule out all the possible causes.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.