Is pace maker a safe option for person having undergone open heart surgery ?

My age is 52years and my weight is 65kg and my height is 5.9f. I am a heart patient and my open heart surgery was done on 1988 in AIMS(Delhi)and my valve was changed .But since 6-7 month I am getting a serious problem like getting unconsciousness for 2-3sec and abnormality of my heart beat. Now I have consulted with some heart specialist and they have suggested me to set a press maker in my heart. Now my question is that Is it safe to do such a surgery in my case? . Please give me some solution.
Sun, 15 Jan 2012