Is non-headache migraine a medical condition?

Is there such a thing as a non-headache migraine? My daughter was told that she has that. Her husband took her to the ER for difficulty in speaking, numbness in her extremities. She was told she had a non-headache migraine. I ve never heard of it before. She is prone to migraines, however, it always includes a headache. Also, what is a nerve ablation on the back for pain? Is it safe? Hows does one tell if they are hurting or injured in that area if the nerve is basically cut , as the word ablation means to me. Thank you for your help. YYYY@YYYY
Thu, 20 Sep 2018
Neurologist 's  Response

Regarding the first question, the doctors must have been referring to a migraine aura. Usually, aura precedes migraine headaches but it can happen even in the absence of a headache and can present with such neurological deficits as you describe. So it is possible for the episode to have been an aura.

As for nerve ablation, yes it destroys some nerve fibers and it is possible for there to remain numbness or sensation loss in the area covered by that nerve, but it is a last resort when there is severe pain and medication doesn't work. It aims to destroy only pain transmission fibers, sparing other fibers.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Olsi Taka,
Neurologist