Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
182 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Is neosporin right medication for getting stung on leg, knuckle and neck?

Hi. My mom was throwing out our pumpkins today since it's over with Halloween and yellow jackets were hiding in them. She went to throw them out and she got stung! She was stug once in the leg, once on her knuckle, and twice on her neck. This happened at around 1:40 and its 6:25 now. She says that she took some benadril and cleaned it and put neosporin on it. She said that she just feels sick like she could throw up. I told her to call the doctor because the stingers could be in there and she also had a boob job like 7 weeks ago so her body might still be a little down on the immune side. She said she was fine but im scared for her. What should i do? I'm 14 and my dad is in the af and is in Oman.
Fri, 12 Sep 2014
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi welcome to Healthcaremagic,
The prime concern in case of an insect bite is to watch out for an allergic reaction that can even cause an anaphylactic shock which is a serious life threatening condition.
It usually presents with itching over the site of sting to itching all over the body, breathlessness, rash and swelling or oedema over the body.
The Neosporin ointment you applied can help prevent an infection at the site of sting.
In case she is having an itching at the site of sting or breathlessness you should rush to your local clinic and have a dose of an antihistamine (Chlorpheniramine) tablet or injection and a Steroid (Hydrocortisone) injection.
Sometimes she may also need an Adrenaline injection and nebulisation.

Please do reply through Healthcaremagic in case of any doubt.
Thank you.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello sir, My son got burnt with some hot gravy in restaurent. Initially the local doctor diagnose superficial burn and asked to apply Silverex 4...