Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Is medicine a substitute for surgery in case of kidney stone ?

Hi. doctor , I have a stone in my kidney about 12 mm size and i showed to one urologist he said he will check through laser and destroy it. I AM afraid i told him to give medications instead of surgery . He gave me medicines like MagAsorb(2 tablets twice daily) with No-URIC(1 tablets 2 times daily). My advice is that do it really help with this medications. I have heard of systone(himalaya) do this will help easily with enough water to pass by. Pleasem, advice.... THANKYOU very Much
Asked On : Wed, 18 May 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  212
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Hi, many thanks for the query!
In our body, each kidney is connected to urinary bladder by
a separate narrow tube called "ureter". A stone in kidney has to pass
through this narrow ureter to reach bladder & from there through
another narrow tube called "urethra", it comes out.
Your stone size is 12 mm but diameter of ureter is smaller enough not to allow this stone pass out.
So, some day it will be stuck in the ureter, this will block the urine outflow & urine will start accumulating in ureter just behind the stone (obstruction) & further will accumulate in kidney causing back pressure changes in the form of hydronephrosis/hydroureter, compromising kidney function gradually.
We want to prevent all these complications.
So, it is advisable to get that stone removed surgically.
You can get it removed either by PCNL or ESWL or RIRS.
If the stone is of hard variety (Ca-oxalate) then ESWL should not be done.
Inspite of all this, if you want to give a try at medicines, take anti-spasmodics, diuretics, K-Mg citrate with your Urologist's opinion.
Drink plenty of water so that at least 2 litres of urine is voided in 24 hrs.
If your luck is at its peak, it may come out.
Do- follow-up USG KUB, RFT, Urine (R/M).
Wish you a good health.
Take care.
Answered: Thu, 11 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor